Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Resurection of the NorthernCavefish

So it's been a couple of years and the cavefish has decided to write again. Can't say if I will around for long or if there will be another entry, but lets enjoy it while I can. So lets see, 2 years and a lot of life going on around me. I can say that I am now what I would call NOS, and soon to be double NOS. Cottaging North of Seven and low and behold...living North Of Seven thanks to my DW who is dragging me up to Brookin. My perception of the northern redneck has been seriously altered over the past little while, not everyone up here drives pickup trucks held together with duct tape and sporting gun racks in the back window. It now seems that the typical Northern lakeside "resident" drives a $70k SUV (90k if you include the gas) and has a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, granite counter tops, 3D led TV/Satellite/internet, double slip boathouse/bunkie, paved driveway, tennis court, wakeboard boat, pontoon etc.  Ok, did I just describe my wish list?
Alright then, back to my little hovel on the island that is my little piece of heaven where where duct tape and WD40 still hold a place of honour.

"The Appleton Estates"

Flash to opening weekend 2011...Within 2 hrs, Water was turned on, Docks put in, boat was started and launched for the inaugural lap around the island. Contrast this with just a few years ago when I could not tell you what a slip coupling was and opening weekend was more like opening weekendS fraught with broken docks, leaky pipes and motors that wont start. Back in the old days I would need to bribe my best friend with beer, steaks and the promise of a relaxing weekend  (once the opening is complete of course) to help prepare everything for the summer. This year it was just me as my friend conveniently ripped his ACL skiing, oh sure just when I'm ready to move...thanks a lot. In any case this was the most successful opening weekend i have had to date and i am now ready for the summer...bring on the sunshine. This years goal...Slalome skiing behind Laughing Waters II.

0 comments:

Post a Comment